
August 15 2009. After 5 years, finally, I will be running a marathon again. I registered last July 31, 2009 for a 5k run but experienced a handful of problems: I had this concern which I asked the managers at Kenny Rogers in SM Southmall for help, I told them na hindi ko makukuha yung singlet and run kit ko, because the schedule for claiming is on August 13 and 14 at 3:30 pm to 11pm. My work starts at 4pm onwards, kumusta naman yon, and I don't know anyone who will be joining. The manager was responsive to my worries and told me that she will raise my concern to the organizers and will call me regarding updates.
Come Monday, August 3, as what they told me to do. The manager who talked to me before told me that she thought that the person who she gave my number to, gave me a call. I told them I did not receive any. Avoiding me to be displeased, the other manager told me and promised that they will get the kit for me. Since they have my contact details, they will send me a text message if the kit is already with then.
Days had pass and I haven't heard from them. August 9? I think. I met at the gym, Joms, my gym friend. He told me that he is planning to join the run as well. After the combat class that day, we went at Kenny Rogers for him to register. After my friend registered, I told the managers that I will give the claiming ticker to him, since he will be going there and get his kit and singlet.
August 13, 2009. I forgot to bring with me my cellphone at work. I realized that it was the day that my friend will be getting the kit and we will meet in the evening. I called and told my sister to text Joms to call me at the office, but my sister could do it after an hour because her tutor was there.
6:30pm, I called my sister but my mom answered my call. To my surprise, my sister was talking with Joms. After their conversation my sister talked to me. She said, that they were not able to get my singlet and my kit because I was not on the list. Wtf! Not on the list? I registered early how can that be possible. While my friend who just registered after a week got his things.
Trying to be calm, I went at Kenny Rogers again the next day. The manager in charge assisted me and called the person who will help me out. Until such time, they said that they will get the kit for me on that same day in the evening but again since I have work I will not be able to get it. I told them that I will pick up the kit the next day instead (the day of the marathon).
Saturday came in pretty fast. I prepared the things that I need to bring, took a bath and bought some refreshments. I went at Kenny Rogers to get the kit but after receiving it, I noticed that the singlet is missing. Irritated, I just asked them on how to get the uniform.
I was early, when I arrive at SM Makati, I decided to look for an arm band where you can put your Ipod player or cellphone. It was expensive though, the band cost me 500 Php, but I know having this band around would lessen the worry of safe keeping the important stuff. After, I went and took a cab. The traffic to an easier route was heavy so the driver drove to another route instead. I went down to an unfamiliar location. Good thing, after Joms handed over to my sister my uniform stub he got me a map where the specific distance run is drawn. From there I knew where I should be going.
After a few minutes of walking, after asking a few questions to people along the way on how to get to my destination. I finally found it. I went to the information booth to get my singlet. There are no more small sized so I got the medium sized instead.
There's a Fitness First near by. When I got there, I got myself a locker and changed to my gym clothes. The Fitness First in the Fort IMO is bigger compared to FF Southmall, though it does not really matter. I went to the weights area were I did a couple of back exercises, hit the thread mill and went to the shower to cool and relax myself, wore my singlet and went back at the booth hoping to meet Joms or anyone I know.
7:00pm. I was there standing at the registration area and baggage area. There I gave my envelope with the food stub and extra shirt. Two fitness yoga instructors whom I know called me and had a little chat with them. They gave me a tip on what I should do before I run. Learned that it is best not to stretch before the run because it is the major cause of cramps.
7:15pm. I was surprised that I was able to meet two of my varsity teammates during college. Looking at them feels like the good old times when we were competing. Had a great time and had a great conversation with them. Just as were about to do our warm up, we stumbled upon, Eillen, James and Zah, my Fitness First friends. I was so glad to see them and was also relieved because I know after the event, I have a ride going back home. I Introduced them to Jeff. Eileen asked me to get my things in Fitness First and put it in their car because the gym will be closed early.
We toured the place since we still have time in our hands. Went to this booth were you can paint your hand and stamp it on the wall and you could write a message on to it. I wrote there: "GO Fitness First Southmall, HSBC and CSB.... AIDS was here".
Come Monday, August 3, as what they told me to do. The manager who talked to me before told me that she thought that the person who she gave my number to, gave me a call. I told them I did not receive any. Avoiding me to be displeased, the other manager told me and promised that they will get the kit for me. Since they have my contact details, they will send me a text message if the kit is already with then.
Days had pass and I haven't heard from them. August 9? I think. I met at the gym, Joms, my gym friend. He told me that he is planning to join the run as well. After the combat class that day, we went at Kenny Rogers for him to register. After my friend registered, I told the managers that I will give the claiming ticker to him, since he will be going there and get his kit and singlet.
August 13, 2009. I forgot to bring with me my cellphone at work. I realized that it was the day that my friend will be getting the kit and we will meet in the evening. I called and told my sister to text Joms to call me at the office, but my sister could do it after an hour because her tutor was there.
6:30pm, I called my sister but my mom answered my call. To my surprise, my sister was talking with Joms. After their conversation my sister talked to me. She said, that they were not able to get my singlet and my kit because I was not on the list. Wtf! Not on the list? I registered early how can that be possible. While my friend who just registered after a week got his things.
Trying to be calm, I went at Kenny Rogers again the next day. The manager in charge assisted me and called the person who will help me out. Until such time, they said that they will get the kit for me on that same day in the evening but again since I have work I will not be able to get it. I told them that I will pick up the kit the next day instead (the day of the marathon).
Saturday came in pretty fast. I prepared the things that I need to bring, took a bath and bought some refreshments. I went at Kenny Rogers to get the kit but after receiving it, I noticed that the singlet is missing. Irritated, I just asked them on how to get the uniform.
I was early, when I arrive at SM Makati, I decided to look for an arm band where you can put your Ipod player or cellphone. It was expensive though, the band cost me 500 Php, but I know having this band around would lessen the worry of safe keeping the important stuff. After, I went and took a cab. The traffic to an easier route was heavy so the driver drove to another route instead. I went down to an unfamiliar location. Good thing, after Joms handed over to my sister my uniform stub he got me a map where the specific distance run is drawn. From there I knew where I should be going.
After a few minutes of walking, after asking a few questions to people along the way on how to get to my destination. I finally found it. I went to the information booth to get my singlet. There are no more small sized so I got the medium sized instead.
There's a Fitness First near by. When I got there, I got myself a locker and changed to my gym clothes. The Fitness First in the Fort IMO is bigger compared to FF Southmall, though it does not really matter. I went to the weights area were I did a couple of back exercises, hit the thread mill and went to the shower to cool and relax myself, wore my singlet and went back at the booth hoping to meet Joms or anyone I know.
7:00pm. I was there standing at the registration area and baggage area. There I gave my envelope with the food stub and extra shirt. Two fitness yoga instructors whom I know called me and had a little chat with them. They gave me a tip on what I should do before I run. Learned that it is best not to stretch before the run because it is the major cause of cramps.
7:15pm. I was surprised that I was able to meet two of my varsity teammates during college. Looking at them feels like the good old times when we were competing. Had a great time and had a great conversation with them. Just as were about to do our warm up, we stumbled upon, Eillen, James and Zah, my Fitness First friends. I was so glad to see them and was also relieved because I know after the event, I have a ride going back home. I Introduced them to Jeff. Eileen asked me to get my things in Fitness First and put it in their car because the gym will be closed early.
We toured the place since we still have time in our hands. Went to this booth were you can paint your hand and stamp it on the wall and you could write a message on to it. I wrote there: "GO Fitness First Southmall, HSBC and CSB.... AIDS was here".

Had a couple of walks and went to this place were you can get this healthy bar snack for free. Grabbed 2 packs and another one that I placed in my arm band. Eileen had a camera and we took our shots. We would alternate and group ourselves for a picture. At first I thought I will not be able to document or give myself an evidence that I was there.
8:oopm. The 15 Kilometer runners went near the starting line and prepare themselves. I decided to warm up. I met another track team mate while I was doing a few slow runs beside the sidewalk.
It was a night to remember. I've seen Twity de Leon, an attention catcher celebrity mom. I also seen Mark Nelson and his "kalbo" friend (dunno what his name was). They were the celebrity host for the night. While waiting, I also met Van, a combat Instructor sa Fitness Southmall.
8:15pm. The runners for the 10k was next. I was excited and nervous. Good thing the warm up went well. I feel that my body was ready for the beating of the marathon but I am a 5k runner so I still have to wait for another 15 minutes.
8:20pm. Finally the 5k was next. The announcer said that it was the most number of participants. My body is starting to cool down because the night was cool but when I joined the crowd of participants the heat gave me back the warmth I need. Mark Nelson, shouted the count down. It was a slow start especially for the crowd at the back.
I ran. The first 2.5 kilometers was great. My pace was fast but I'm not that tired yet. The night was great, the cityscape was marvelous, the mood is just lovely. At the water station I grabbed 2 cups of water, said thanks very much to the lady who gave the refreshments, drank a mouthful and the other I poured on to myself. My abs started to hurt, it was the only discomfort that I felt, i also feel an increase in my momentum every time I overtook a runner. It feels great to pass by them. The next 2.5 kilometers was the most challenging. No wonder the first half was easy because most of the track was down slope. The next half was it's complete opposite. I stopped a few times to catch my breath, but every time I stop, I would count from 1 to 10 then resume to running.
Along the way, I met people having a brisk walk with their Siberian Husky pet, I saw three Huskys with their owners. They just put a smile on my face. I met my dream dog and it was a great sight indeed.
Less than a kilometer to go, we came clashing with the other participants. There were lots of them, and we would turn from one place to another just so we won't hit them. I can't believe I was running really fast, when others were just halfway and we were almost at the finish line.
Now this is the part were I will tell you the most embarrassing moment that happened to me that night. The finish line is just a few runs away. I was sprinting, my breath was heavy, my legs were sore. I finished my run, but I was very exhausted. One person shouted that water is along the way. I grasp for air, my vision started to turn black. I ran, I remember shouting, "where is the water?" but I could not see it. I didn't know were my legs has taken me but I know I was at the hydration station. The lady offered me bottled drinks but I grabbed them with force and without even saying thanks. I was tired but I was also angry. I was like a drunk man in the bar.
I stood at the field and people were staring at me, I feel very paranoid and I thought to myself that I did something wrong in public. I was convinced that what I did was shameful and wrong. I did not know what I was thinking but I went to the booth were the organizers are. I spoke to a guy with an afro hair. I told them that I would like to announce a public apology. I explained it to them. At first, one of the organizer told me not do it because it might give a negative feed back from the people. I told him that how can a public apology be so negative if the purpose was good.
Yes, I got the opportunity and when I stood there on the stage, I said "pahiram lang ng konting oras nyo, I would just like to make an apology..." I went blank after that because I felt fear. Imagine the number of people looking at you. Then I started to speak again and all I remember was I was telling the story on how it came to be. The speaker told me "Tama na, nakakahiya sa mga sponsors" sabi ko "teka lang..." I desperately wanted to get the message across but I gave the mic eventually. I was lost for words. When I went down the stage, a hooded man tap me on the shoulder and said "ok lang yan". Dennis and Archie approached me, they were my office mates at HSBC. Dennis said "ok lang yan dude", they were with me and I just feel relieved because after that shameful experience at least someone was there.
8:oopm. The 15 Kilometer runners went near the starting line and prepare themselves. I decided to warm up. I met another track team mate while I was doing a few slow runs beside the sidewalk.
It was a night to remember. I've seen Twity de Leon, an attention catcher celebrity mom. I also seen Mark Nelson and his "kalbo" friend (dunno what his name was). They were the celebrity host for the night. While waiting, I also met Van, a combat Instructor sa Fitness Southmall.
8:15pm. The runners for the 10k was next. I was excited and nervous. Good thing the warm up went well. I feel that my body was ready for the beating of the marathon but I am a 5k runner so I still have to wait for another 15 minutes.
8:20pm. Finally the 5k was next. The announcer said that it was the most number of participants. My body is starting to cool down because the night was cool but when I joined the crowd of participants the heat gave me back the warmth I need. Mark Nelson, shouted the count down. It was a slow start especially for the crowd at the back.
I ran. The first 2.5 kilometers was great. My pace was fast but I'm not that tired yet. The night was great, the cityscape was marvelous, the mood is just lovely. At the water station I grabbed 2 cups of water, said thanks very much to the lady who gave the refreshments, drank a mouthful and the other I poured on to myself. My abs started to hurt, it was the only discomfort that I felt, i also feel an increase in my momentum every time I overtook a runner. It feels great to pass by them. The next 2.5 kilometers was the most challenging. No wonder the first half was easy because most of the track was down slope. The next half was it's complete opposite. I stopped a few times to catch my breath, but every time I stop, I would count from 1 to 10 then resume to running.
Along the way, I met people having a brisk walk with their Siberian Husky pet, I saw three Huskys with their owners. They just put a smile on my face. I met my dream dog and it was a great sight indeed.
Less than a kilometer to go, we came clashing with the other participants. There were lots of them, and we would turn from one place to another just so we won't hit them. I can't believe I was running really fast, when others were just halfway and we were almost at the finish line.
Now this is the part were I will tell you the most embarrassing moment that happened to me that night. The finish line is just a few runs away. I was sprinting, my breath was heavy, my legs were sore. I finished my run, but I was very exhausted. One person shouted that water is along the way. I grasp for air, my vision started to turn black. I ran, I remember shouting, "where is the water?" but I could not see it. I didn't know were my legs has taken me but I know I was at the hydration station. The lady offered me bottled drinks but I grabbed them with force and without even saying thanks. I was tired but I was also angry. I was like a drunk man in the bar.
I stood at the field and people were staring at me, I feel very paranoid and I thought to myself that I did something wrong in public. I was convinced that what I did was shameful and wrong. I did not know what I was thinking but I went to the booth were the organizers are. I spoke to a guy with an afro hair. I told them that I would like to announce a public apology. I explained it to them. At first, one of the organizer told me not do it because it might give a negative feed back from the people. I told him that how can a public apology be so negative if the purpose was good.
Yes, I got the opportunity and when I stood there on the stage, I said "pahiram lang ng konting oras nyo, I would just like to make an apology..." I went blank after that because I felt fear. Imagine the number of people looking at you. Then I started to speak again and all I remember was I was telling the story on how it came to be. The speaker told me "Tama na, nakakahiya sa mga sponsors" sabi ko "teka lang..." I desperately wanted to get the message across but I gave the mic eventually. I was lost for words. When I went down the stage, a hooded man tap me on the shoulder and said "ok lang yan". Dennis and Archie approached me, they were my office mates at HSBC. Dennis said "ok lang yan dude", they were with me and I just feel relieved because after that shameful experience at least someone was there.

My office mates left after a few talks. I stand alone again and people just keeps on staring. I do not want to bow my head but instead I was standing tall with a face trying to endure that experience. I was waiting for Eileen and James. Nahimasmasan na ako. I can't seem to find the two. I instead went to the baggage counter to get my envelope and extra shirt. Dennis and Archie were there, they thought I'm alone so they joined me. We took pictures and we converse about work and all. We fall in line were the loot bags and certificate were being distributed.
I finally found James near one of the tents. After getting the loot bag, I said my farewell to Dennis and Archie. When Eileen and Zah came, we were conversing about what I did. It was stupid and idiotic I said, Eileen said, better for me not to go there and speak. Yeah I agree, curse this paranoid effect I said to myself but she said it is ok, people will eventually forget. Well I hope so, I also hope that the whole thing was not captured in video because If it did what are the possibilities for me to be seen in youtube?
We were hungry that night. We went to Bonifacio square? to look and find a place to eat. Fort Bonifacio was a very beautiful place. You feel like you were someplace else, and people say that the Philippines is a third world country? I'd like to think again. Lots of foreigners and dogs to be seen. Yeah, dogs, those expensive breed kinda of dogs. Most of the dogs have clothes and yayas with them. Yaya I say? Yes, grabe ang aso parang tao, tas yung iba mukhang aso haha...ahem sorry. We were undecided were we should eat because the restaurants there are unfamiliar and looks very expensive. The Brothers Burger is swarming with hungry people, so we passed on that one even though we like to dine in. How about Pancake House? Eileen suggested. Since it is the only familiar place where real food is accessible. Yup Pancake House it is but when we went there, they were already closed.
We were hungry that night. We went to Bonifacio square? to look and find a place to eat. Fort Bonifacio was a very beautiful place. You feel like you were someplace else, and people say that the Philippines is a third world country? I'd like to think again. Lots of foreigners and dogs to be seen. Yeah, dogs, those expensive breed kinda of dogs. Most of the dogs have clothes and yayas with them. Yaya I say? Yes, grabe ang aso parang tao, tas yung iba mukhang aso haha...ahem sorry. We were undecided were we should eat because the restaurants there are unfamiliar and looks very expensive. The Brothers Burger is swarming with hungry people, so we passed on that one even though we like to dine in. How about Pancake House? Eileen suggested. Since it is the only familiar place where real food is accessible. Yup Pancake House it is but when we went there, they were already closed.
We walked again and we tried this restaurant were they serve food like in Denchos. It was Denchos but has a name before it, it says ________(forgot the title for this) in Denchos. Joms and the others joined us and we ate and had a great time.
We ended at 1:30am and I went home and slept at 2am in the morning.
We ended at 1:30am and I went home and slept at 2am in the morning.
I woke up and I still remember that dreadful incident. I wish I could have said:
"Just a few words...
I would like to ask for a public apology for a bad display of attitude,
I apologize for the lovely lady who gave me the water that I am holding right now on how I get these refreshments from her,
I am sorry for the kids who have seen it,
I am sorry to the people who have witnessed it... I'm really really am so sorry
and thank you to the organizers who gave me the opportunity to speak and to redeem the shame that I brought myself and to the people who knows me tonight. Thanks and congratulations."
I would like to ask for a public apology for a bad display of attitude,
I apologize for the lovely lady who gave me the water that I am holding right now on how I get these refreshments from her,
I am sorry for the kids who have seen it,
I am sorry to the people who have witnessed it... I'm really really am so sorry
and thank you to the organizers who gave me the opportunity to speak and to redeem the shame that I brought myself and to the people who knows me tonight. Thanks and congratulations."
I could have said it this way. I can't believe everytime I have an opportunity to speak up, I easy waste it but after that opportunity only then the right words will come out. Sucks to be me. We'll it happened, there's nothing that could be done, it was destiny. Hari talaga ng sablay.




No comments:
Post a Comment