My worst time in my lifetime was High School. I was soft spoken, frail, thin and confidence and self-esteem was point below zero. A loner in short. Was rebellious but always keeping it within self, until it came to a point that I was cutting my self (learned it from a friend... his name was Christain Alvisse).
I've read Children live what they learn by Dorothy Law Nolte, Ph.D. , and it hit me so hard that I realize that I had a bad start in life. This could greatly affect my life in the future, negatively, and true enough it did and it still will, if I don't do something about it.
When I first step into college (at La Salle Benilde), everything changes. I had this class, SPERDE, a very very boring class because all we do was to study the student hand book for the whole term. My professor there made an announcement that the track and field varsity team will be having a try-out for those who wishes to be a track athlete.
Such a perfect sport for a person such as myself.
I made it into the team, quit smoking and after such time I begin to enjoy the sport. My coach (Sunny Diaz) suggested I took distance running to improve my endurance, and even though I don't like distance running I accepted it. I Got to know my fellow athletes and enjoyed all the training times with them. When my coach saw my dedication and hard work, he gave me free stuff, like shoes, uniforms and etc.
I wake up at 4 in the morning,when there's training and weight lift if there's time after the training in the morning or in the afternoon. Had classes that ends at 9pm but I hang out with friends after that so I come home at around 11-12 in the midnight. But I was never tired and as a matter of fact I did enjoyed it, despite the schedule.
Days; months and a year passed, after some very memorable competitions (haven't won anything on those competitions but for all its worth it gave me a boost in my morale, esteem and performance). My coach and myself believe that I did improve. He added me to the list of athletes who will be receiving discounts in their tuition fees. You don't know how proud I am with myself at that point.
In time I did improve my performance even more. Not just in sports but in my studies as well. I was inspired, confident and slightly sociable and I have gained friends. Every time I beat my previous performance, I get encouraging praises from the team and the respect as well. Things that I haven't had during high school.
Won my first ever NCAA (silver) medal (pic coming soon). Got it from a group relay.
From experience, sport is one way of improving your personality. Just don't brag, be humble, never let negative energies get into your system and believe in God to do miracles. Many great things will happen if you have dedication, patience and humility.
In October 2007 I joined the Fitness First "Body Combat Marathon", believing that joining a competition such as this will relive the memories of my athlete days. Close but worth my while. Got to know some folks and learned a lot, especially those difficult side kick and round houses.
Yeah, truly sports did a great deal in a life such as mine. If I haven't been an enthusiast for sports, I don't know what kind of lifestyle I'd be living, and what kind of person I'd turn out to be.

No comments:
Post a Comment