Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Contender - Fitness First Circuit Competition

I joined the "Fitness First - The Contender Competition" that was held yesterday (February 13, 2008). There are more or less 24 participants. We'll here they are... (well most of them).


The challenge:

(1) Distance Run - max distance 2.2 km (in 10 minutes)
(2) Squats with Kick - max repetition: 60 (in 1 minute)
(3) Push ups - max repition: 60 (in 1 minute)
(4) Split Lunges - max repetition: 60 (in 1 minute)
(5) Alt oblique toe touch - max repetition: 60 (in 1 minute)
(6) DB Punch on wide stance - max repetition: 60 (left and right jab punch = 1 count x 60 in 1 minute) with 5lbs barbel on each hand.

• 1 minute rest between each corresponding exercise
• there are corresponding points depending on the number of repetition acquired

Took a half day from work just to go to this competition. Hehe Talk about determination and preparation.

Went to sleep at 3pm coz I feel unwell. I went at Fitness First at around 5pm just to warm up and learn the correct position and execution of all the exercise. The participants were group into three batches. Those who will be called first will be the first batch to perform together with the assigned fitness instructors. Unfortunately my name was not called, so I believed that I will be among the second batch. I was scanning for strong competitors and found one on the first batch. The guy is buff, thats all that I can say but not Arnold Schwarzenegger-kind, just the average.

The second batch was called but then again my name was not mentioned. So third batch it is. Found one strong competitor among the males there. The guy was short and buff as well. I saw him do the push ups and he was able to do 60 but regarding the rest of the exercise, I know I may be able to beat him.
My batch turn came (7:45pm), and i don't think that 2 hours worth of warm up is normal. Good thing my nervousness dissipated and I was confident.

I started really well on the thread mill. My starting speed was 14. After 3 minutes I increased the speed to 14.5, then went to 15.5. After seven minutes I decreased the speed to 13. The instructor checked my distance and I found out that I was running more than 2.2 km, so they asked me to stop and rest.

Next was the Squat with kick. In performing the squat kick you must first do a squat position (legs mut be 90 degrees) and then execute a frontal kick using either left or right. If you use your left you must use the other leg next. I did 53 (8 points out of 10).

I was confident doing the push ups. Since I was able to do 60 push ups straight during training. Well I I was only able to do 58 (10 points).

The split lunges was pretty simple. You just need to alternately raise your leg from one side to the other and step then do a lunge then go back to a standing position. I was able to do 40 (6 points out of 10). Now this time my legs are in pain.

The alt oblique toe touch is my most favorite. You need to lie down with your feet raised. Then using your left or right hand you reach the opposite toe. Outstandingly I was able to do 70!!! (10 points)

If I have a favorite, I also have the least fav. Ladies and gentlemen, the final exercise, the DB punch on wide stance. Yup this one was really hard. For a minute you must be on a squat position, then you do 2 jab puches (left and right, 2 jabs = 1 count). Sad to say I only did 35 (6 points out of 10).

The difficult things about this competition are: one, you only have a minute of rest after each of the exercise; two, they wont consider the count if you did the exercise the wrong way (e.g. wrong posture, wrong execution) and Finally I was very hungry. :P

So who won?..... YEY!!! yup, it was me in the men's division.

Won a Fitness First backpack, cap and a Contender T-shirt and a month full of bragging rights. :D

The only girl in the picture is Rose. She's a class instructor for Body Combat, Body Pump and Other Yoga Classes. She did join us while we're doing the exercises. Talk about pressure.

For the women, it was Eileen who won. Nice smile Eileen.... anyways, I woke up this morning and my legs are very painful, and walking was difficult. Still I went to the gym in the evening.

Happy Valentines Day everyone...

No comments: