I'm resting for a week, meaning no weight lifting in Fitness First and no combat or yoga classes for me (started last Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2008). Why?... Every time I lift weights my head suddenly is overwhelmed with pain specially the occipital part of my skull.

Yeah. I thought my head is going to explode every time I feel that stinging pain. Went to Yahoo Answers and posted this question:
While lifting weights the occipital part of my head hurts?

Yeah. I thought my head is going to explode every time I feel that stinging pain. Went to Yahoo Answers and posted this question:
While lifting weights the occipital part of my head hurts?
I am close in achieving my goal in gaining weight. From 120lbs to143lbs and the target is 150lbs...
Won this "contender circuit competition" at Fitness First but after a-day rest from that event I went back to my usual weight lifting program.
During the first set of my benchpress, I felt this very painful sensation at the back of my head. I tried to rest and let the pain subside. When the pain was milder, I continued the program and again the intensity of the pain grew and I decided to stop and go back home to rest.
Took another day of rest. When I started to do the benchpress the next day, the first set was ok but I felt a stinging sensation in my head. After the 2nd set the pain came in.
My blood pressure was 110/70.
If you guys know any similar case, are there ways to prevent my head from hurting? Do you know any scientific reason about it? Hope you guys could help me out. Thanks in advance.
Won this "contender circuit competition" at Fitness First but after a-day rest from that event I went back to my usual weight lifting program.
During the first set of my benchpress, I felt this very painful sensation at the back of my head. I tried to rest and let the pain subside. When the pain was milder, I continued the program and again the intensity of the pain grew and I decided to stop and go back home to rest.
Took another day of rest. When I started to do the benchpress the next day, the first set was ok but I felt a stinging sensation in my head. After the 2nd set the pain came in.
My blood pressure was 110/70.
If you guys know any similar case, are there ways to prevent my head from hurting? Do you know any scientific reason about it? Hope you guys could help me out. Thanks in advance.
Got three answers and most of them from nurses:
It is a good possibility that you have strained your muscles, also you could have a disc, that is bulging. Best rest and leave the bench presses off for awhile. If this don't subside with rest to the muscles, and it continues to get worse, it is best that you see a doctor concerning, the problem. Hope this helps.
from crickett...
and this:
Under no circumstances should you lift ANY more weights until you are seen by a doctor. The pain in your head may be related to a tear in the dura that lines the brain and spinal cord, and you may have the beginnings of a subdural hematoma (???... medical dictionary please).
The blood pressure does not affect an injury such as this. Yes, it is possible you strained the muscles in your neck, or you may have herniated (don't have lulos I assure you) one or more of the cervical discs, but, no matter what, pain such as you describe is a loud WARNING from your body to STOP!
Make an appointment with a physician a.s.a.p.
The blood pressure does not affect an injury such as this. Yes, it is possible you strained the muscles in your neck, or you may have herniated (don't have lulos I assure you) one or more of the cervical discs, but, no matter what, pain such as you describe is a loud WARNING from your body to STOP!
Make an appointment with a physician a.s.a.p.
(Mosby Manual of Clinical Nursing, nurse for 26 yrs)
from Marlyn R
from Marlyn R
I'm glad I got some really serious answers from my question. I'm itching to go to the gym but I could hurt myself If I don't listen to these advices. Oh well what to do, what to do....
1 comment:
I google this:
'head hurts everytime I lift weights'
and I got your question, and your blog. You described my exact problem. The left, back side of my head hurts after my second set of bench press. And after it happens, I can't train weights anymore. If you find out what works, please let me know. I can't believe I get this frustrating injury just when I am starting to increase my weights. I've since resorted to interval cardio training.
Post a Comment