Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A mother's tears and fears

"My son, I finally made a decision to undergo endoscopy... I can no longer carry the burden that your father has caused me... "

Tears fell and her heart broken.

Few lines of my mother among the long story that she has told me a few days ago. She was crying, in pain and stressed because of work and emotional abuse. When my father leaves for work, my mother would usually talk to me and tell me about her relationship with my dad. I know that when she open up such discussion, there's a problem. It kills me to see her cry every time she utters the words of her story, I would just kissed her after, told her to be strong and that I will be with her in all her decisions.

I was with my mother last Monday. She was given medicines to force her to defecate. She was not allowed to eat heavy meals and this made her weak during the night. The presence of the nurses made it difficult to have a good sleep. At midnight she was given dextrose to replace any lost fluids and after that we finally were able to get some rest.

Tuesday came and all is ready for her procedure. At 5 am she was taken to the operating room. I kissed her forehead and told her "God bless". They took her and I went to our room to wait for her. Two hours had past and she finally arrived, escorted by a couple of nurses. They left her after they placed her on the the bed. I asked her "What did the doctors see?", she told me that she undergone two procedures, the endoscopy and colonscopy.

"Son, bad news." She told me.

They found a huge lump inside her intestine and some scratches inside her stomach, the reason why she's suffering stomach pains. She said, it was not yet clear whether the lump is malignant or benign. Then she cried.

"My son, thank God that your sister is about to finish college. At least when I die, you two will no longer have problems... can't believe that I might be having cancer." She said with teary eyes.

My mom is silly sometimes but I don't blame her for saying such things. She's afraid.

Today is her birthday, I don't plan on talking about the operation but rather to talk about happy stuff. The problem is our life is nothing more than being serious. Quite a few things to talk and laugh about. As you grow older everything else seems so serious. But anyway we're having pizza and spaghetti later.

Happy birthday to my mom.



No comments: