Monday, January 28, 2008

Visiting Singapore (Part I)

Yep, I know its kinda late to tell you the story of my life while I was in Singapore for two weeks. Internet use in internet houses there is expensive. They will charge you 1 SGD (1SGD = 29 Php) for a 20 min use, so let's just say writing in blogs and chatting are not the best way into spending your money, unless of course needed. ( Facebook is an exception :P )

January 12
Inside the airplane of Philippine Airlines
The plane took off at around 7:30 in the morning. Beside me was a Filipino guy on his mid 50's? Not sure actually. He asked me if I'm going to study there and answered him that I am just visiting and it was my very first travel abroad. I was trying to get some sleep within the three hour travel time but unfortunately I was not able to because my whole being does not want to. I would blame the Rush Hour 3 they're playing on the monitor screens, for it sure does keep me entertained and could not escape it.

Changi Airport (Singapore)
Three hours had pass, we are about to leave the plane. When I got off I was both nervous and brave. I don't know where to go and have no idea what awaits me there. On the bridge we were welcomed by Singaporeans, most of them Chinese girls and at the end two Indian women shouting while waving some forms in their hand saying "Whose going to Jakarta!?". Obviously I continued walking, I'm sure I don't have any business with them or what so ever.

I came out and light flashed so brightly that I could not see where I am. As the blinding light fades, the picture of reality was made clear. Lots of different people moving about, from Chinese to Indian, some you might think Filipino but they are of Malay nationality and many more. I was inside Singapore's ginormous airport.

Looking around I know I was lost. 'I hope that I could meet a Filipino so that I have someone to talk to and show me where to go' was in my thoughts. Then I saw my Pinoy seat mate in the airplane, I know this guy could help me out and when I was about to approach him, I already sensed that the guy knows my concerns. He told me to go down the elevator where the immigration is stationed. We introduced ourselves to one another. The guy's name is Bong. He worked in Singapore for two years and now he's going to another country (forgot where). I think he was just stopping over.

Finally I was at the immigration. I observed how people do it. Then I suddenly remembered what my mom and dad told me before I left. They said "Whatever it is that they might ask you... don't tell them that you are looking for work."

My turn came, trying to be brave, I gave my passport and said good morning. The woman was dead serious, didn't even bother to greet me back but I was anticipating a question that she might ask me. To my surprise the lady stamped my passport without any word and I was free as a bird. From there I followed the signs that leads me to the taxi area.

Going to Woodlands
It was weird having ridden a right hand drive taxi and it was an expensive car compared to the taxis we have in the Philippines. I called Ate Lanie, our former-pharmacist and now working at Singapore, told her that I will be heading to Bencoolen to look for this traveler's lodge my dad is talking about. She thought that I will be staying with my friend but told her that I won't be because he will be leaving on the 14th. After hearing this her husband, Reich, called and offered their place for me to stay.

I have to accept the offer for some really big reasons... One, I need someone to teach me things that a beginner must know. Two, I need to adjust, culture shock might give me bad trauma and finally, some company while I'm there.

After our conversation, while I was enjoying the scene around me, the taxi driver interrupted my silence with a question, "Are you Chinese?". Wow I think my first complement for the day. I told him "No I'm Filipino... Why? Do I look like Chinese?" He answered "You look like a Filipino Chinese." I dunno if he's being funny but I laughed. He was conversing with me for just a couple of minutes, I was not able to grasp everything that he just told me because I could not understand most of his words. We discussed some good places to visit here in Singapore and why I was here. He thought I was studying here but I told him I came to visit.

Finally, I arrived to my destination. It was in Woodlands, a very peaceful place to begin with. There was no houses there, I think there are no houses at all in this country but residential buildings. As the taxi stopped, kuya Reich approached us and quickly handed over some money to the driver as payment for my fare (Definitely I felt ashamed. He denied the money I was giving him for fare that I should be paying for) .

To keep the story short. The whole family welcomed me. Kuya Riech showed me how the whole train thing works and bought me some newspapers for my job hunting. I decided to walk around and find a good place to eat. I wanted to try something new but was afraid to do so, so I went to McDonalds instead. Looking at the meals, I see that there is nothing cheap. I bought this 2 SGD burger, which I thought that it is inclusive of a drink and fries but to my shock my meal cost 5 SGD. Oh well.

While I was eating I notice the couple with their kid next to my table. They were Filipinos. When the guy went to buy some drinks I introduced myself to the lady and started to converse with her. Her husband came and her wife introduced me to him. The guys name is Mer and the his wife, Shiela. They were looking for a new place to stay and because the rent had increased, they need a cheaper one and nearer from where they're currently working. After our conversation we both exchanged email addresses. They might contact me if they happen to find a job opening for me. I went home after and rested.

No comments: