My Sunday Experience
The whole morning I was checking the internet and the Saturday newspaper for job openings. There was a lot for a graphic designer position but most of them does not apply for my status there as foreigner. Some companies would only accept Singaporean or PR (Private Residence). From 13 companies looking for a graphic designer, now I am only qualified to apply for 6, well its better than none. I asked my sister to send me my resume and a picture to my email account at yahoo because I failed to bring my one and only flash drive.
During my stay at our pharmacist's house, I was able to get to know Joy, Riech sister and an electrical engineer. I asked them if there are any churches here in Singapore for me to go. You know, its a Sunday, its a basic ritual for a Christian like me to go to mass. Joy told me that they have a 'praise and worship' near the mall beside Paragon (forgot the name) and she will be expecting us there at 5:30pm (I will be going with her mom to Lucky Plaza at 2pm).
2 o' clock Tita and I left the house (for two weeks I was not able to get kuya Reich's mom's name but I call her Tita instead). When we got there, she told me that she will have her nails done and while she's at it, she told me to look around and enjoy. We'll meet near the Mcdonald's stand in front of Lucky Plaza.
For 2 hours I walked around Lucky Plaza, a place where most Filipino's meet during week ends, especially Sunday. Where ever you go you can hear tagalog words fying around. It feels like home, in a way. It's funny when you see some Pinoy establishments, especially when you read the Titles of the store: Baclaran store, Glorietta store, etc. There's this KTV establishment that looks like a 'kabaret' with a message on the door saying "Welcome kabayan!". I came upon Absolute Comics, a store that sells comics and action figures, there, I spend most of my time looking at the things they were selling.
5:10pm, Tita and I accidentally met at out meeting place. Why accidentally? She told me that she will give me a call after she's done with her errand but unfortunately she was not able to contact me. It is good thing I decided to go there.
Then we walked and found the location. It is an open place with lots of tables for people to eat on. There I met joy and her friends. She introduced me and told them that I am looking for work. When we entered the building, we took the elevator and entered an auditorium. Somebody hander over a flyer that tells about the the "Hope Church", a Filipino Ministry in Sinagpore. Joy introduces me again some of her other friends, telling them again that I am looking for work. Wow talk about free advertisement. Yes they were helping Filipinos find work there. I met Euan, a Singaporean. I met Bangs, Anthony, Merwin, Ramil, Susan (A), Susan (B) and many more Filipinos whose name I have forgotten.
The 'praise and worship' began and to my surprise it was the same as to how we do it during our praise and worship at YAM (Young Adults Ministry) in the Philippines. They play Hillsong and Don Moen songs. There is a pastor who gives a sharing. While I was listening to Pastor Cristy, she's a Singaporean by the way, I felt that the message she was telling the crowd was almost about me. I remembered when she said "For 25 years God molded you and brought you here for a purpose". Yeah I wish my stay here, though its short, will bring good fruits. After that the shepherds (the leaders) came in front, those who wishes to be prayed for, may come to any of the shepherds and they will pray for you (I went to Susan and ask her to pray for me).
After that very wonderful praise and worship, Joy introduced me to her friend, a girl (name forgotten) and a graphic designer, to see if she can help me. Unfortunately, she was not able to because her company needed someone who can understand Chinese.
We went out to have some dinner. Euan went with me and told me that all new comers will be treated for dinner. So he showed me around, told me to look for interesting food that I wish to eat. I am undecided, so he escorted me to this Korean stall and told me that the food here was good. So he asked which food I would like to eat, I pointed to this meal that looks like a spaghetti, it was called Laksa, he paid for the meal and the drinks as well. When we went to the group's table to eat, some body told me "can you handle the spice?". I thought I can but the spice was too much I could not finish the soup. Good thing they bought another glass of iced tea.
We left the place and on our way to the train station, some of the folks that I met asked for my number. They might text me if they find a job for me and to keep in touch as well. We all departed and said our goodbyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment